Wow. The last few days have been strange ones.
- So my dad is now gall bladder-less. Monday he was in excruciating pain so the dr. made him to go the hospital. Yesterday they decided that he didn't need his gall bladder. My sister is in Tennessee, my brother is flying and is in Washington DC and my step mom is in North Carolina. Yep, that leaves Natalie and I to take care of the ol' pops. The surgeon briefs us and tells us that the surgery usually takes 30 - 45 minutes. After sitting in the waiting room for over 2 hours, we were getting a little bit worried. The surgeon finally comes to chat with us and tells us that my dad's gall bladder had started to gangrene!! That little bugger had pain for quite some time and didn't tell us... so his organ was sitting in there rotting. =/ He's doing okay now.. just has to stay in the hospital for a little while longer because they are afraid of infection. My dad is funny even during pain, though.. gotta share some hospital stories..
- The nurse came in to take him down to surgery. To make sure that they had the right guy, they asked him what his name was and his birthdate. He tells them. Then the next question is,
"Denny, do you know what kind of surgery you are having?"
My dad then answers, "Yeah, a hysterectomy, right?"
So I guess the morphine didn't effect his wittiness.
- Then his friend came to visit him. Wanted to play a joke on him because my dad is tough and usually the jokester. Dad was sleeping and his friend Bruce came in with a wash rag he got from the nurse and said,
"I'm here for your sponge bath.. where would you like me to start?"
Dad then replies,
"Well, I ususally start with my butt and move to my face."
Out of a dead sleep and on morphine, my dad can still make us laugh. Gotta love that!
- Okay, and you know how you see those Dateline's where people steal wallets and money from people in nursing homes and hospitals? So I think of these Dateline's I've seen... and grab my dad's wallet when we went down to surgery. Can't have people stealing from the peeps laid up! So after surgery, Natalie (whom is also pregnant) and I are starving. We go to the cafeteria to get some eats and yeah, I have no money. So I had to take money out of my dad's wallet!!! I STOLE!!! I can see the next Dateline..
"Don't worry about nurses and cleaning staff stealing your loved one's belongings at hospitals. worry about your CHILDREN stealing your money."
Dad, I owe you $2.
- So back up Monday night when dad was getting admitted to the hospital. We walk out of the little room and I see my cousin waiving at me down the hallway. So my 87 year old grandpa locked himself out of his house and decided to climb up a ladder and went head first through his garage window. =( He was in ICU yesterday so I got to talk to him. I was able to tell him that Darin and I were pregnant and he even commented that he was going to have another great grandbaby. =( A few hours later he died. I'm so happy that I was able to see him when he was coherent and that I got to say goodbye. He's now talking my mom's ear off in heaven. =)
His funeral is on Monday.. the good part about that is that my sister is flying in. I haven't seen her since June so I'm really happy about that.
So yeah, kinda a strange bunch of few days we've had here but it's okay.